St. Peter's Choir
The Parish Choir membership consists of volunteer singers from the parish and paid Staff Singers.
Parishioners and others who are interested in singing in the Choir should contact the Director of Music for an audition.
Staff Singers also serve as members of the St. Peter’s Singers, a 16-voice professional ensemble that sings a monthly Choral Evensong service.
There is no expectation that a Staff Singer be an Episcopalian; qualified singers are hired regardless of religious affiliation. See below for a complete position description.
Open Staff Singer Positions
Vacancies are currently being filled in the following positions:
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, a 154-year-old parish located in Ladue, is seeking an alto Staff Singer to join its two choirs: the St. Peter’s Choir and the St. Peter’s Singers. Both choirs sit in a divided “cathedral-style” arrangement with independent choirs on each side: Cantoris and Decani.
The St. Peter’s Choir provides musical leadership at the 10:30 a.m. service each Sunday and at additional special liturgies throughout the year. The St. Peter’s Singers is a fully-professional choir that leads services of Choral Evensong (or a similar choral service) once a month. The choral season runs annually from September through May, though there are additional opportunities to sing for summer services.
- Weekly Thursday rehearsals from 7:15-9:30 p.m.
- Weekly Sunday rehearsal & service from 9:45 a.m. to when the service ends at approximately 11:35 a.m.
- Major feasts and fasts of the liturgical year including, but not limited to, services on All Saints, Christmas Eve*, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday*, Easter Day, Pentecost, Trinity Sunday.
*undergraduate students could be excused from these services if needed
- Services of Lessons and Carols (Advent, Christmas, and/or Epiphany)
- Choral Evensong, typically held on the second Sunday of the month
- Other services, as announced
- Choral concerts (up to two a year) and other community performances
- Occasional extra rehearsals for these and other major services as announced
- Excellent sight-reading ability, ear training, vocal technique
- Fluency with different styles of choral music
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the Anglican choral tradition is preferred but not required.
The successful applicant will serve as a collegial member of the Choir as a whole.
- Work with other altos to form a good ensemble sound
- Work well with all singers and music staff
- Perform solos as requested
- Ability to lead short sectionals and/or keyboard ability a plus, but not required
- Parish Choir
- paid at $40.80 per call (typically there are two calls a week, Thursday evening and Sunday morning)
- Monthly 8:00 a.m. services are available to Staff Singers on a voluntary basis.
- Staff singers receive double pay for all 8:00 a.m. services and services on Christmas, Good Friday, and Easter.
- St. Peter’s Singers
- paid at $81.60 a call
- Weddings and funerals are paid at $100 a call.
- Within church guidelines, use of the church for rehearsal and performances
For more information, or to schedule an audition, please contact:
Mr. David Sinden
Organist and Director of Music
(314) 993-2306 ext. 105
This position is open and available immediately. Applications will be considered until a suitable candidate is found.
Updated 20 April 2022.
The Director of Music, David Sinden, is always delighted to hear from interested singers.
Please email or telephone (314) 993-2306 ext. 105